Sunday, December 23, 2012

Books reviewed in June 2012

14 Reviews

Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls #2) by C.C Hunter [Mild Spoilers]

Okay...so this book improved by bounds from the first book but only slightly from the second one. And really, 3 books later and you still don't know what she is? I think it's pretty clear now that she is from the gods or what ever. Which has been my outlook from the first time it was mentioned. And this drama between Derek and Lucas is so old. It's not interesting in the slightest. Of course another sexually active female is harmed in this book...DON'T have sex kids! You'll get cancer! Or you'll die! But if you resist your urges, you'll wind up with two sexually active hot guys slobbering all over you!
The whole thing with Jane Doe the ghost was good. I didn't expect that until right before it was announced. And I especially liked the part with Socks. In fact, this whole series would have been a lot better if it was written all about the poor skunk kitten. I can't believe there is going to be another. Yuck. But I will read it. I just really hope there won't be more.

Read from June 29 to 30, 2012
Books I have.


Six's Legacy (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files #1) by Pittacus Lore [Spoiler Free]

I am reading these books in order...as in from this short story on. And for a short story I have to say this was really good. It has me very interested in the rest of the books. It got a lot of information out and even had some action in such a short time and had me hanging on every word. I'm excited to read the rest.

Read on June 29, 2012
Books I have.


Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1) by C.C Hunter [Spoiler Free]

This book was not as good as it could have been. Kylie was so immature and she really needed to put on her big girl panties! She even mentioned that her friends needed to do that but would not do it herself. Then she is thinking about sex? With how immature she is, I really did not like the message this sends to teen girls. Then there is the whole thing with the sexual predator that her friend turned into a toad...I was really disgusted with how sugar coated that was! And how it was made out to be not a big deal. What the heck? What I got out of that is that girls in that situation should just remain silent or take it upon themselves to deal with it rather than go to the authorities. That type of behaviour is a big deal! It is not something to be taken lightly and used as humour!
There were some funny things in this story however; like what happened with Perry. I caught on immediately however, but was still rolling from laughter. I have to say I really detest insecure, whiny heroines. It is just plain boring.

Read from June 27 to 28, 2012
Books I have.


Wings Of Arian (The Solus Trilogy) by Devri Walls [Spoiler Free]

Ah this book brought The Never Ending Story to mind. What with the Rockmen and the flying pink fluffy dog/iguana? I enjoyed the story, as well as the unanticipated nostalgia. The storyline was decent, and I loved Emane's description of love. 
What I did not like was that there was no buildup of how Kiora was found to be the Solus or much backdrop between her and Emane. It referenced things that happened in the past between them kind of in a way that implied the reader should already have knowledge of these things. Like how they met--which I would have liked to have read about. It just threw you into their personalities without anything behind it. I also would have liked to have read about her learning to use her abilities. There was not a lot of action which surprised me. And what action there was, was extremely short lived. That annoyed me a bit considering how long the book was...I would have liked there to have been more oomph to it rather than reading all about misconceptions and insecurities. 
I loved Emane's character. I like that he didn't change too much throughout the book with his firecracker ways. 
I will read the next one. Hopefully there will be more action though.

Read from June 26 to 27, 2012
Books I have



Eden by Keary Taylor [Spoiler Free]

I kept putting this book off. But I have to say it was amazing! In so many ways it describes the brilliance of being human. What we are capable of as individuals and as a species. What we can overcome and just how complicated our mind is. I really didn't care for the love triangle or how long it lasted. I was happy that the two intended were not okay with the situation though. I feel it is important for that to be portrayed in these instances and I wasn't completely satisfied with that--but at least there was some acknowledgement. I wasn't too surprised with the way things ended up with Eve, or who she ended up choosing. I do see where this book might not appeal to everyone as it is more about getting to know oneself than it is really fueled by action. But I liked it for those reasons. I just could not put this book down.

Read from June 25 to 26, 2012
Books I have.


What I've Done by Jen Naumann [Spoiler free]

I loved this book. And not so much because of the paranormal aspect to it, but the underlying story and struggles brought up. Showing what is the result of drug use and not just to the user but all parties involved. Attempted suicides and how you might not know it but you are a vital piece of life to someone else. Heart ache and where that can lead. Negative influences that might not seem bad at the time but can turn into a fireball of a monster later when you're not thinking for yourself. Consequences and learning how to trust even if it isn't always a good thing. Then the life of being fostered too. So many gems in this story. I really enjoyed it.

Read from June 24 to 25, 2012
Books I have.



When Kyle Came Back by Melanie Marks [Spoiler Free]

This was a really cute book. I would have liked to see a bit more action in it though. And perhaps a bit more involvement with Stan. Also, the ending could have been a lot more suspenseful and perhaps a bit more epic for all the hype that was created with the demons and all. Aside from that it was an enjoyable read.

Read in June, 2012
Books I have.



Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers #1) by Michelle Rowen [Spoiler Free]

This is a very quick read. It was a page turner for me. I quite liked all of the characters. It had me laughing from the get go. I quite enjoyed that the main character wasn't completely stupid. Sure she made some questionable decisions but they weren't outlandish or made me want to pull out my hair asking who in their right mind would do such a thing. In fact, her actions and reaction were rather rational and understandable for the most part. I also liked the idea of what souls meant to Heaven and Hell. So a nice tasty bit of thought provoking was well received by me. I also liked the story behind Kraven and Bishop's tension. I was half expecting something disappointing, but I was pleasantly surprised there too. I will read the next one happily.

Read from June 22 to 23, 2012
Books I have.



Silver by Rhiannon Held [Spoiler Free]

I read this book in one day. I liked the story line and how it was written for the most part. I think the background and reasoning behind Stefan's actions could have been better though. It was sub-par to the stories behind Silver and Andrew.

Read in June, 2012
Books I have.


Underworld (Abandon #2) by Meg Cabot [Spoiler Free]

Okay...does anyone else have a problem with Pierce's death being blamed on her Fury grandmother because she was wearing a scarf that just so happened to be sent by her? How does that equate to her grandmother trying to kill her exactly? And an injured bird? I mean the idea isn't bad....but a scarf? Come on now.
This book was mildly better than the last. The big bad secret of John's past was hyped up so much it only left you with disappointment. This series really could have had some potential but it just continues to fall flat. 

Her description of sex was the only thing was remotely impressive. Very unique while conveying exactly what it wants you to understand.

Read on June 22, 2012
Books I have.



Origin (Legends of the Known Lands #1) by Samantha Smith [Spoiler Free]

This is the first book I have read that was pretty much dedicated to elves. I liked the story. And it was a nice reprieve to have no love interest to add to the drama. The issues I had with this book was that it repeated itself so many times that it was irritating. I don't know how many times it referenced Elwyn's issues with anxiety towards meeting her father and forming a life-bond with the drakenhawks; or with their lack of knowledge with the shadow squads. I also found the dialogue between the characters to be monotonous and just not well put together. The attempts of humour were not well received by me either. The explanations of food preparations and sleeping arrangements for every day of the journey were completely unnecessary and boring. I will read the next book because I am interested in the story

Read from June 20 to 21, 2012
Books I Have



Abandon (Abandon #1) by Meg Cabot [Mild Spoiler]

Uh...the beginning was fine. The middle was even fine....but the ending? Yeah not good at all. Honestly, where did the whole thing with the grandmother come from? There was no hint to it throughout the book. And how the hell was she even remotely involved with her death? That was not explained at all. Quite a mess really that came out rushed and ruined anything that this book could have been. Normally I don't mind blindsiding events that occur in stories but they need to make sense!
It did have parts that made me laugh. But the structure to this book was, well, rather non-existent. And there was nothing to really tie you to the characters. The only one I am remotely interested in is John. He's the only good thing of the story. I will read the next one because for the most part I finish any book and series I start. Even if I don't like it. I am hoping the second book is better

Read from June 19 to 20, 2012
Books I have.





Damned (Crusade #2) by Nancy Holder & Debbie ViguiĆ© [Spoiler Free]

This book was fantastic! Much better than the first. So much action! A lot of pain. I think this is the best devastating vampire story I've read for YA. Probably not fit for young teens though. I like that nothing is overly sugar coated. Because really, a lot of what happens in this book is really how things would go. (Well maybe not entirely...but if it were this exact scenario--with no one standing up for themselves...) I am happy to know why the excerpts of Jenn's diary were found in the ashes. That kept me intrigued for both of the books. It finally covered all the hunters bases and past except for, of course Father Juan....And I am looking forward to knowing where that will lead.

Read from June 18 to 19, 2012
Books I have.




Crusade (Crusade #1) by Nancy Holder & Debbie ViguiƩ [Spoiler Free]

This was written really well. I enjoyed Nancy's style of writing very much. The politics were very well related to everyday life. It's a very good description of what comes of complacency. If you do nothing when you do not agree with what is going on in your government--which is something you can address--all is lost. It displays that sometimes you have to fight for peace--in all actuality peace is a lie. And it makes sense, as fighting is within our nature. We are all a blend of good and bad, and unfortunately war is and will always be part of our existence. Peace is turning a blind eye but as with everything else, it comes with a very high cost. It also demonstrates that there are many ways in which to fight. Violence is not the only way.
I like that there are struggles within the group that are also related to everyday life. Teamwork even if sporadic, is necessary to overcome hurdles in every aspect of life. Admitting your faults is not a weakness, and asking for help is a strength. Stepping outside your box is encouraged with many rewards. Truly, a pleasure to read if you're looking for morals to your stories.

Downsides: there is a lot of downtime that can be a little difficult to read because it's just not kept interesting. Some of the story line doesn't make sense and it isn't explained. I think the background of some of the characters could have been better too, since she does flip through them, there just isn't enough to help you understand how they are thinking. I also wanted the two hunters' stories Nancy did not provide. But perhaps that will be remedied in the next book.

Read from June 15 to 17, 2012
Books I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment