Sunday, December 23, 2012

Books reviewed in July, 2012

25 Reviews

I am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1) by Pittacus Lore [Spoiler Alert]

Ah I have not seen the movie yet. I wanted to read the series first. So..how do I feel about this? Well. I was able to be distracted so that means it cannot be a 5 star book. I wasn't impressed with Four's selfishness though. It wasn't just him he put in danger by wanting to stay in one place or by not letting Henri know when shit happened. He was putting him in danger too, and well he paid with his life.

And I wanted Four to be with Six, so yeah, I don't like Sarah...she needs to go away and stay away. If she is in the next book; there will be problems!
I did like the book. I am a big fan of Six, she is a bad ass. I am confused though, having read Six's short story previously to this, why did Four not have as much training or knowledge as she did? That makes her all the more bad ass. Because she was prepared. Four was just clumsy and has survived so far by chance. I really wanted to like him, but he is just too impulsive and thoughtless, with a single track mind. And sure, a 15 year old probably would focus on a girl. But being in love with the first girl he has ever been with is a bit over the top considering he is a guy. (Not trying to be insulting or sexist--it's just the way it TYPICALLY is.) I really was expecting to like this book a lot more than I did. I really liked Six's short story so I was a bit disappointed with I am Number Four.

Read from June 30 to July 02, 2012
Books I have.


Collide (Collide #1) by Shelly Crane [Spoiler Alert]

 Ah well this was good in the beginning....then it got really boring in the middle....and then a bit wtf at the end.

Okay...marrying an "alien" is one thing...but an alien in the body of an abusive ex-boyfriend that tried to rape you is another. I draw the line there!
This was a cute love story but it was lacking in the action department.
Also, what is up with Sherry being kiss attacked at every turn? For someone so plain she sure is the only one being harassed. 
I like that the moon is missing, although I really would have liked a better explanation for its absence. 
The book was a little long for lack of happenings in it. I do appreciate that the main character isn't the "special". And I am curious as to where her role will take her in this story. This book liked to go off on tangents and didn't stick to the plot very much. I was really interested in what was going on with the specials but they kind of went on vacation for most of the book and you were left with the Sherry-Merrick-Kiss attackers' drama. I like that she mentioned she didn't like drama, but Sherry was the one creating it a lot of the time. I wasn't too thrilled for her getting all judgmental of her brother's choices; what a hypocrite. 
I am just a little disappointed after having read the Significance series...which I liked a lot. Hopefully there will be more action in the next book

Read from July 02 to 04, 2012
Books I have.



The Power Of Six (Legacies of Lorien #2) by Pittacus Lore [Spoiler Alert]

 This book was miles better than I am Number Four. Four is still too impulsive, selfish, and reckless. Nine is a badass like Six. The people bitching about Ella being number 10 without explanation obviously didn't read I am Number Four. It was indeed set up and I wasn't terribly surprised. A lot more action in this one but there better be more in the next one!

Read from July 04 to 05, 2012
Books I have.

Revived by Cat Patrick [Spoiler Alert]

This was not my typical read. The plot was fine up until the God stuff. Killing someone just to revive them and not have them as part of the program? That was lame. I understand something was needed to shed light on what was really going on with the nefarious God, but it was rushed. It didn't even explain how they were caught. The idea of drug Revive was clever. And the fact that the kids were killed on purpose was a good twist. I just think what led to that discovery could have been better.

Read on July 07, 2012
Books I have

Uprising (Collide #2) by Shelly Crane 

It pains me that I absolutely hated this book. I FORCED myself to finish this...and many times I was going to just give up on it. The only reason why I did not is that I read not one, but THREE of Alyson Noel's books. And this one was no where near as bad as those. 
But I'm sorry but the love star, as I am calling it, was just too much for me. Why is everyone in love with Sherry? It is terrible. Not interesting, but actually extremely annoying. And she cries ALL THE TIME! Then Merrick. So unrealistic. I mean okay he's an alien--but even then there is no way for him to be absolutely perfect while being in the body of Sherry's ex-boyfriend who tried to rape her. 
This book is worse than the first with not sticking to a plot. It is just all over the place and most of which is completely pointless to the story. I will not be reading the next one. Also extremely annoying--the random song lyrics. Completely irrelevant, and useless noise in the story. I skipped over them. I am not sure I will read Devour....I really liked the Significance series and I will read the new one to that...but I am not finishing this series. Gotta say...I usually do finish a series I start, even if I don't like it. But this book was torture. It took me almost 2 days to read it, and that is saying something for me

Read from July 04 to 07, 2012
Books I have.

Nine's Legacy (Lorien Legacies:The Lost Files #2) by Pittacus Lore [Spoiler Free]

These short stories are better than the actual books. I am excited for the next one though.

Read on July 07, 2012
Books I have

Inside Out (Insiders #1) by Maria V. Snyder [Spoiler Alert]

I loved this book. I was so not expecting them to be on a spaceship! I also liked that the romance between Trella and Reiley didn't make up the majority of the book--or much of it at all, actually. 
I wasn't surprised when the Doctor ended up being Tella's mother. In fact, I figured as much as soon as she was brought into the picture. That could have been masked better. I loved the part where Trella was reflecting on what a horrible person she was. I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

Read on July 08, 2012
Books I have.

Caged in Darkness (Caged #1) by J. D, Stroube [Spoiler Alert]

This started off really good. Then all went to hell in a hand-basket. 
So the premise of this book was great. I liked the fact that she had been tortured and neglected by her parents and had to escape. But then what happened? All of a sudden Savannah is the interest of another coven. they waited until right before her ascension to be interested in her at all. No. let's not try to sway her while we know of her existence and have a better shot at making a connection while she is younger...So Liam is sent to seduce her? That was ridiculous. It would have been fine if there would have been more of an effort made in convincing the reader, as well as Savannah, that she was actually being seduced. I mean she just meets the guy and he ends up fighting with Ash, and she automatically takes his side? I don't think so. That did not fit into Savannah's past or her personality. It made no sense at all. But let's not stop there...she then makes out with the guy? Not only does she make out with Liam but then she decides she wants Ash too. Yeah...Is it really every girls dream to go from invisible to whore? I wasn't aware.
So after she reads the text to Liam that he needs to up his efforts on seducing her, she runs home to Ash and makes out with him. This girl is horrible. Absolutely thoughtless. Cruel, and down right selfish. I no longer felt sorry for her after that. i'm sorry but being caged for 9 years of your 15/16 year old life doesn't excuse her behaviour. It's not like she didn't pick up on what was or was not acceptable in relationships from being in high school.
Anyway, so then there is no explanation to Savannah on Liam's part to absolve himself. You just see from Ash's perspective that she has obviously forgiven him since she allowed him to kiss her--after telling Ash she was going all out with him...? Again...this doesn't make sense. I couldn't see someone having gone through what Savannah did, being so quick to forgive a guy she barely knew after he was "seducing her" and betraying her trust. But I must say that I think seeing what Liam had to say for himself is something that the reader should have had access to. It was rather important in my opinion since it was made out to be such a big deal for a good portion of the book.
There is a half-assed introductory to Kali...which still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I get it, you needed to know there were Hell Hounds since Willow is then made out to be one. I just thought it was cheap and lazy the way she was brought into the story. There really should have been some background on all of the other characters that this book encompassed. 
Why in the hell was Savannah given a panther bond? Really? That just came out of no where. It wasn't even used as a way to try and convince Savannah she needed to join a different Coven. Actually...that never did take place at all. It was just a path that ended up going nowhere that really could have been played well if there would have been more effort to the storyline. I am still confused as to why it was necessary that Savannah have this animal bond. A missed opportunity to make this story all the more interesting. 
I liked the idea behind what was going on with Asmodeus, but again, it was rushed and left without a lot of explanation and creativity when it came down to it. Like the fact that he was possessing the two guys Savannah had started whoring herself out to. Does she get mad like most people would if they found this out? No. Instead, she decides that she is actually in love with Asmodeus! Come on! 
And do not get me started on the fact that rather than going to the covens and working together against the Fallen Angel, Savannah thinks it is best she take him on herself....or with a tiny group of people who you have no idea of their abilities. 
The ending was tasteless. Making it appear she was going to kill herself...ugh, that was so tacky. And what little respect I had for Savannah disappeared with that.

All in all, this story really had some potential! And I was duped with the prologue. The play on words was amazing. I was really thinking this was going to be an awesome book. But there were so many missed opportunities to make this book a really great read. It felt slapped together. And in the end I was really disappointed.

Read from July 09 to 10, 2012
Books I have.

Outside In (Insiders #2) by Maria V. Snyder [Spoiler Alert]

 When I started reading this, I have to admit that I was hoping it would be about when they finally found a planet. Even though that was not the case, I was not disappointed! I loved this book just as much as the first one. I don't know, I must have a soft spot for Sheepy. I thought it was very well written. Even had me fooled there for a minute as to who the bad guys were. That doesn't happen often.
I really appreciated that the romance between Trella and Riley was really low key. It didn't intrude into the story and become the main focus like most of the other YA books I have been reading. No love triangles are always something I get excited about since that is all the rage. Maria V. Snyder does a fine job of showing you that she can keep things interesting without throwing another pointless love interest into the mix.
I really would have liked to know what crime the Outsiders committed to be exiled though. I was really looking toward that tid bit of juicy information.
I must say though, if the Insiders were capable of making bombs in this book, there really should have been no reason as to why they couldn't have made and used them to aid their rebellion in the first book.
But otherwise, this one claimed a spot on my favourite books list.

Read from July 10 to 11, 2012
Books I have.

Frost (The Frost Chronicles #1) by Kate Avery Ellison [Spoiler Alert]

Loved this book. I read it in one day even though I was busy all day.
The only issue I had was with Cole and his involvement in the death of Lia's parents. That kind of came out of nowhere and didn't make a whole lot of sense. A nice twist, but I think it could have been played out better. And perhaps some suspicion put on him throughout the book so that it wasn't completely out of reach.
I liked how Kate set up how Lia was going to get a hold of the map. I knew instantly how that was going to be achieved--via the dance. But I like that the option was brought up early in the book. So it wasn't just thrown out there like Cole killing her parents was.
I think Kate's descriptions of the layout of the world were pretty good. Not overdone to the point of boredom but enough to let you see a bit into the world. There could have been some improvement there though. I didn't get a good feel of how the village looked. And I wasn't too clear on what the Watchers were supposed to look like either, and that was a little disappointing.
I am looking forward to reading Thorns.

Read from July 11 to 12, 2012
Books I have.

The Lost Soul (Fallen Souls #1) by Jessica Sorensen [Spoiler Free]

Well it is interesting that this is a side series. I like that. There are a few series I like that I wouldn't mind having extras to, like this.
I think I like this as much as I liked the Fallen Star series. This book made me not like Gemma too much though. She was very hypocritical with Alex. Being all kinds of pissy at him for keeping things from her but she was keeping stuff from him at that same moment. She was also extremely reckless. I love Nicholas so I am happy he will be in this series too.

Read on July 13, 2012
Books I have.

The Fury (Time Walker Series #1) by Sloan McBride

This was started off with just straight up action. And I was all excited. Because there is no better way to start a book! My excitement soon wore off though, because the plot was weak. It didn't really stick to it at all, and the action scenes fell flat. I think this book was supposed to be all about the sex, which it proves later when it explains the title.
There was a bit of creativity when it comes to the sex scenes but most of it was repetitive. For the most part they kind of just come and then disappear just as quickly. (No pun intended.) Then there was two whole chapters in a row dedicated to it, so yeah I skipped that. Just not my thing since it did little to enhance the story.
This book didn't have much substance. It's a lite read and you don't really get attached to any of the characters.
I found Reese to be quite the hypocrite and rather stupid. I am so tired of these books with "independent women" who are after a controlling man who smothers and orders them around. It's lame and done so often. And what is wrong with following orders when someone is trying to save your life? Just stupid.

Read from July 12 to 13, 2012
Books I have.

Branded (Fall of Angels #1) by Keary Taylor [Mild Spoiler]

 I have come to the conclusion that I just love Keary Taylor.
I have read a ton of angel stories and this one was very unique! I love that the angels were depicted as something to be feared. Because really, they probably should be!
It didn't quite go as I had expected. I had thought that Alex was already an angel and perhaps that Jessica was one as well.
The ending was not one I had suspected. Good job with that Keary, I really like to be surprised!


Read from July 13 to 14, 2012
Books I have.



Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi [Spoiler Alert]

 This was okay...and nothing more really.
I have an issue with funky replacements for swear words. It is not creative. It is annoying. If you don't want to use a swear word, then find an intelligent way to get the point across.
I didn't like the back and forth with the chapters either. It was confusing at first and then just damn well annoying. It ruined the reading experience for me. I don't have a problem with back and forth writing styles, but this book was not written to support it very well. I found myself wanting to skip the pre-zombie sections because for the most part all of the information was given to you in the post-zombie sections anyway. But I forced myself to read them just in case. I was already aware that Peyton's father was responsible for the virus early on in the book. So that revelation at the end wasn't exciting. It was pretty obvious that Chris would be saved also.
The fact that there was a cure for the already turned zombies was ridiculous. The fact that the "creatures" were still alive after having nasty sores on them and eating human flesh is a bit silly. It even mentioned that if healthy people got a cut it could be a death sentence because of infection. Well the body of the zombies would have died from infection too, since they were still alive. It would have been more appropriate if only freshly bitten people, within the two week mark could be cured. Just saying.


Read from July 14 to 16, 2012
Books I have.




Forsaken (Fall of Angels #2) by Keary Taylor [Spoiler Alert]

 Ah, this was not as good as the first one. I had some serious problems with Jessica in this book.

Alex traded his life for hers but apparently that wasn't good enough for her. She kept pushing her wants on him. Goodness, she is quite the selfish girl in this book. She wanted to get married so badly but she was very happy to keep important things from Alex. She didn't trust him enough to tell him about all the changes going on with her. She was extremely immature. Her reasons for doing things were just down right stupid.
She thought it was okay to go walking with Cole...Right. In fact, the leisurely stroll she took with Cole throughout his home was irrelevant and boring. I skipped most of it. It bothered me that Alex would leave her to find his mother who abandoned him, knowing she would be facing Cole. I understand there needed to be a reason to get rid of him so she could have the one on one with Cole, but it was a weak way to do it.
I couldn't finish this book fast enough, and not because it was awesome, but because I wanted to read something else. I already knew what was going to happen with "Adam" and Emily as soon as he made his entrance. And was it really necessary to have Jessica and Cole kiss? She knew he killed a number of women and was planning to do the same to her best friend but she was still willing to allow him to kiss her? Yeah doubtful. I suppose she wasn't worthy of Alex after all. That annoyed me the most I think.

Read from July 16 to 17, 2012
Books I have.


Vindicated (Fall Of Angels #3) by Keary Taylor [Spoiler Alert]

What a repeat of the last two books this was. I knew right away that Emily was going to give her kidney to Austin's sister. I don't know why that was left hanging as long as it was, it was not a surprise. Nor was Sal being on the council. I have to say I was actually pissed that Alex was sent back. I think it would have been better if both Jessica and Alex ended up in the afterlife. I mean, Jessica already had two life extensions. I really didn't like Jessica in this book. She was not mature enough to get married and she was right when she said she did not deserve to marry Alex. She didn't trust him at all, even after everything he was going through for her. Shame on her. I will read Afterlife, but I must say I will be glad to be done with this series. 

Read on July 17, 2012
Books I have.



You Against Me by Jenny Downham [Spoiler Alert]

 I did not think I was going to enjoy this book as much as I did. I wasn't expecting it to show both sides of this kind of crisis. And it was fantastic. What life is like for the family members of someone who is accused. And then to add to it, that Ellie had to make a tough decision. Tell the truth or betray your family. What a spot to be in. That would be extremely difficult. I liked that it wasn't cheapened by the fact that she went against her brother by telling the truth and then suddenly everything would be wonderful and easy for her. It kept it very realistic. I think I would have liked to see how the trial turned out though, it would have been very interesting to see where things went there.

Read in July, 2012
Books I have.



Blood Faerie (Caledonia Fae #1) by India Drummond [Spoiler Free]

I liked it. When Munro was first introduced I wasn't happy with him being in the story but I grew to like him as the story progressed. I would have liked more involvement with the blood faerie. I wasn't satisfied with the lack of back story with him. And Munro just being madly in love with Eilidh without reason annoyed me too.

Read from July 18 to 19, 2012
Books I have.



Leif (Existence Trilogy #2.5) by Abbi Glines [Spoiler Free]

I think this set up a great start to a spin-off series. And to be honest, I liked Leif. I didn't and still don't see anything wrong with him. He is my favourite character in this series.

Read on July 22, 2012


Glow (Sky Chasers #1) By Kathleen Ryan [Spoiler Alert]

 It was decent. I liked that Amy wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty with some awful topics. But a lot of them didn't make sense.
The heathen ship wasn't worried about using guns once they knew they were being boarded by another ship? Really? But the religious ones were okay with killing, manipulation, kidnapping, lying, technically raping, and drugging people? I mean sure, I can see some people going a little crazy, but a whole civilization being okay with this behaviour? Then leaving a whole ship of people to die? innocent kids being the majority? Just doesn't scream honorably religious.
Then what the hell was going on with Seth? Why was he so fucked in the head? What were the reasons behind his lies? All because he was attracted to a girl that was Kieran's girlfriend? Very petty and it really doesn't scream "bad boy", it screams "loser".
And I'm confused about what is going on with Kieran. Is he really behaving the way that Seth is saying or is that just Seth trying to get out of his prison? I don't know, but it got really confusing and rushed together toward the end of the book. And I wasn't happy with that. The first majority of the book was very slow but it was just enough to keep me interested. But it wasn't one that I was hurrying to finish the page so I could continue the story. Not sure if I will bother with the next one or not. (Update: I did bother with the next one, and it was worth it.)


Read on July 23, 2012
Books I have.



Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet #1) by C.J. Roberts [Spoiler Alert]

As much as I really don't like the topic of this book, it is a fantastic read. Very emotional. Very descriptive, but I don't think it does enough explaining for how and why Olivia feels the way she does. I understand it's stockholm syndrome but when she is in thought mode trying to explain her conflicts, I just don't think it does a good job of justifying her emotions or actions. Caleb's thoughts and action make a lot of sense. I especially like that he is doing what was done to him, so the reasoning behind it makes it almost understandable. I have to give C.J. Roberts credit for this book as this topic is not something most people would feel comfortable reading about. Especially with it being erotica. I'm not very fond of that genre, but this book was awesome. I am excited for the second book.

Read from July 22 to 23, 2012
Books I have.



Starfire Angels (Dark Angel Chronicles #1) by Melanie Nilles [Spoiler Alert]

 Alien angels. Well alright then!
Raea was a horrible character. Very self absorbed, selfish, conceited, shallow, and rude. I didn't like anything about her. There were a lot of contradictions in this book. Raea was having conflicting thoughts about Elis because he wasn't popular...nice. And one of her excuses was that she barely knew him....yet that wasn't a reason to not like Pallin. Eh.
Raea was very childish for a supposed 18 year old. She was a horrible friend to all of her friends. Especially to poor Josh. She didn't deserve his loyalty. She made a terrible girlfriend even to Pallin. She was awfully clingy for having known the guy for only a few days. She didn't deserve Elis, nor being a protector of anything in my opinion. I am having an issue with all these books having an inept, spoiled, and shallow main character. It really is boring.
I hated Nina, but I didn't think killing her off was necessary.
The action was boring. And was it really necessary to have Raea be raped? It just seemed like filler to me. I suppose it was used to rile Elis up for blood, but that was stupid. And it was taken so lightly. Elis pushed and pushed Raea and refused to respect her wishes on that. Which is something very private. I felt it did not fit in to his character.
Anyone else notice that Raea couldn't think for herself at all? She followed everyone else's lead. And she is supposed to be a Keeper? I can't possibly see how she would be successful


Read from July 23 to 24, 2012
Books I have.



Insanity (Asylum #1) by Lauren Hammond [Spoiler Alert]

What an AMAZING book! It kept me guessing! I had the idea that Addy's father killed Damien. But holy shit, the Dr. being her husband? I mean I should have guessed when the picture of the girl had violet eyes. It made me wonder but I was thinking that maybe he was a cousin or something. Not once did I think he was her husband. 
And even with Damien, I wasn't too sure if he was ever actually real. I kept going back and forth between him being an imaginary friend or him having died at some point. I caught on that no one could see him but I wasn't prepared for the whole "men's ward" not being there! What a trip. What a wonderful job Lauren did of keeping me hanging on every word. And the cliff hanger....OH! So cruel! Perfectly done! I am very interested in what happened to land Addy where she is. I will most certainly be looking out for White Walls
The only issue I had was that there were a few repetitive phrases that grated on my nerves. But otherwise...absolutely fantastic!

Read on July 25, 2012
Books I have.



Broken Wings (Dark Angel Chronicles #2) by Melanie Nilles [Spoiler Alert]

Well this one was slightly better than the first one. Raea is still a holier than thou, naive, idiotic brat. I really detest her. Not sure what happened with Elis as a character in this book. His demeanor changed a lot from the first book and I wasn't so fond of him anymore. The only ones that remained the same was Josh and Raea.
I had a hard time trying to figure out why it was necessary for Raea to tell Cris that he and Leks were "attractive" before letting them know she was in a relationship. She spent most of the book leading both of them on. Yeah that's real awesome. Raea is a horrible person. She is not just flawed, she is cruel. She only thinks about herself and only cares about anything that pertains to her. For someone who was supposed to have a good heart and not to bring harm to others as a Keeper, she just doesn't fit the bill.
I'm also wondering why Nare felt the need to meddle. Why was Raea okay with that? She didn't bother to give Elis any time to explain himself. She sure does like to throw stones at glass houses. Such a terrible role model. I really hope no girls who read these books want to be anything like Raea.
The story line was mildly better this time around. There was a little more excitement. And I must say I found I was more interested in the story of Leks past. The romance between Elis and Raea is slow and needs a lot more improvement.

Read from July 24 to 25, 2012
Books I have



Exiled (The Protector #1) by M. R. Merrick [Spoiler Free]

What a nice change of pace from most of the Fantasy books I have been reading. I loved this. I like that it focused on the adventure! And all the creatures...my favourite type of story!
It is so refreshing to read from a male main character and to not be distracted by romance....although I am sure one will form in the the next book. I am looking forward to reading it. With how creative the scenery was, I was a little disappointed with the battle scenes. They were rather redundant. But at least there was plenty of action because that is what I need in these books, and I action was delivered!

Read from July 26 to 27, 2012
Books I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment